Dinner tonight was really good. We make black beans and rice about once a month, but we're constantly trying different recipes and spice combinations, having yet to settle on one we really like. I think tonight, I've finally created it... mostly out of "Oh, I have some of this left over in the fridge to use up." What a happy surprise to have it turn out so incredibly good!
Here is what I did.
- Cook the rice. I made brown Basmati. It's our fave, but you can use white rice or whatever rice you have on hand.
- In a pan cut up a turkey smoked sausage and cook with a little water in the bottom of the pan. Andouille would be best, but it's a little spicy for Finn.
- In a separate pan, sautee one white onion until it is translucent and the raw is cooked out. at that point, add a dash (or 2-3) of Tabasco
- Add 4 cloves of garlic pressed and about a 1 inch piece of fresh ginger grated. Cook for 2 or so minutes until fragrant.
- Add in 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed + one half can of pineapple (tidbit size is good) *note: I would totally prefer fresh pineapple, but the canned works in a pinch.
- Add in a little (maybe 2 TB) of the pineapple juice and squeeze a quarter lime over the top.
- Add in cumin, oregano, basil, and black pepper to taste. You will need a liberal amount to make it work. Cook until the mixture is heated through.
- Then add the sausage into the black bean mix and cook for another 2-3 minutes to blend flavors.
- Serve black bean mixture over the rice.
It would work just as easily to go vegetarian and not add the sausage. It would also be fantastic with a crisp green salad. If you like bell peppers you can add those in as well when cooking the onions.